Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2016

The Difference Between First and At First

Transituins First vs. At First

Here is a confusing and incorrect sentence:

At first, I want to eat breakfast before I go to work.

English language learners sometimes confuse “at first” and “first.” They are both transitions that often begin a sentence. However, the similarity ends there! The little preposition “at” makes a big difference.

“At first” suggests a change is coming.
For example, “At first, I did not like green tea ice cream, but now I love it.”

“First” shows a sequence and suggests that there will be a “second,” “third,” and so on.
For example, “First, I always wash my hands before I cook dinner.”

Practice

1. Think of a situation where your opinion has changed about something - perhaps a food, a person, or a place. Describe how you felt at first and how your opinion changed.

2. Describe how to do something that you enjoy doing - for example, how to cook your favorite meal, how to train for a sport that you do, or how to learn a language, or something else. Describe steps in order, using first, second, third, etc